The Central Connecticut Department of Athletics held its annual Senior Awards Banquet on Thursday evening in Alumni Hall on the CCSU campus. The department honored seniors Taylor Friedmann(Swimming and Diving) and Betsy Vendel (Women’s Lacrosse) with the prestigious Gail Rutz Award, which is presented annually to the top female or female athletes. On the men’s side, seniors Reece Wilson (Men’s Soccer) and Aaron Radden (Men’s Track) were honored with the Frederick M. Gladstone Award, which is presented to the top male athlete(s) of the senior class.
In addition to the Gladstone and Rutz awards, seniors Jamie Rademacher (Volleyball) and Ben Walsh (Men’s Soccer) were honored with the Coca Cola Awards for having the highest grade point averages among female and male senior student-athletes, respectively. Junior Helene Neuhaus of swimming and diving was honored as the Most-Improved Student-Athlete and the volleyball team was recognized for having the highest team GPA among CCSU’s 18 Division I sports.
Director of Athletics Paul Schlickman also presented the Director of Athletics Award to seniors Chris Williams (Football) and Amy McInerney (Women’s Lacrosse).
In addition all 73 senior student-athletes and 20 members of the cheer, dance and pep band squads were honored for their commitment to Blue Devil Athletics over the last four years.
Also, 138 CCSU student-athletes received the Academic Award for having a GPA above 3.20 over the last two semesters. Women’s soccer and men’s cross country/track and field each had 16 members honored, women’s cross country/track and field followed closely with 13 student-athletes, football and softball each had 11, volleyball, swimming and diving and women’s lacrosse each had 10, men’s soccer had eight, baseball had seven, women’s basketball and women’s golf each had six and men’s golf and athletic training each had four members recognized.
Of the 138 Academic Awards recipients, 54 were also honored with a place on the Travelers Athletic Directors All-Academic Team. The student-athletes on the Travelers team have a cumulative GPA above 3.50 for their collegiate careers.
The 2013 Senior Class by the numbers:
• YOU HAVE ACHIEVED A PLACE ON THE NEC COMMISSIONER’S HONOR ROLL (GPA 3.75 OR HIGHER) 25 TIMES
• YOU HAVE BEEN ON THE NEC ACADEMIC HONOR ROLL (GPA 3.20 OR HIGHER) 107 TIMES
• YOU EARNED 4 COSIDA CAPITOL ONE ACADEMIC ALL-DISTRICT SELECTIONS AND 1 CAPITOL ONE ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN SELECTION
• 3 HAVE BEEN NAMED THE NORTHEAST CONFERENCE SCHOLAR-ATHLETE
• AS A CLASS YOU HAVE COMPLIED A 3.07 CUMULATIVE GRADE POINT AVERGAE
• 84% OF YOU HAVE ALREADY GRADUATED OR WILL BY THE SUMMER
• YOU HAVE WON 11 NEC REGULAR SEASON AND TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIPS
• YOU HAVE EARNED OVER 75 ALL-NEC SELECTIONS
• YOU HAVE WON 8 NEC MAJOR POST SEASON AWARDS
• YOU HAVE WON MORE THAN 20 INDIVIDUAL EVENTS AT NEC CHAMPIONSHIP MEETS
• AND ALMOST 50% OF YOU HAVE PLAYED ON A TEAM THAT WON A NORTHEAST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP!
• YOU ENGAGED IN DIRECTLY OR LED OUR TEAMS IN OVER 7,824 HOURS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE