The Central Connecticut football team is set to host Duquesne at Arute Field on Saturday afternoon. The Blue Devils and the Dukes will kick-off their Northeast Conference game at 12 p.m.
CCSU (0-5, 0-2 NEC) vs. Duquesne (4-1, 2-0 NEC)
Here are some notes on the Blue Devils heading into the sixth game of the season:
The Blue Devils host the Dukes of Duquesne in a Northeast Conference football game. Both teams were idle last week, but the Dukes enter with a 2-0 mark in the NEC and the Blue Devils are currently 0-2. Last season, Duquesne beat CCSU, 28-21, at Rooney Field in Pittsburgh, PA. That was the Dukes' first ever victory over the Blue Devils.
The Blue Devils and Dukes have played five times prior to today with CCSU earning four victories and Duquesne's only win coming last season. Duquesne has never won at Arute Field, falling to the Blue Devils in 2010, 2008 and 1993. The last time these teams met in New Britain, the Blue Devils recorded 375 yards of total offense compared to 461 yards for the Dukes, but the Blue Devils pulled off the 31-29 victory thanks to a defense that held Duquesne to field goals on three-of-five drives that reached the red zone.
• With 21 points at Sacred Heart, the Blue Devils eclipsed the 20-point mark in a game for the 50th time under head coach Jeff McInerney.
• Under head coach Jeff McInerney the Blue Devils are 5-0 in games following a weekend off.
• The Blue Devils have allowed 30+ points in five straight games for the first time in a single-season since 1992. The Blue Devils had a six game stretch late in the 2007 season that carried over into 2008 in which they surrendered 30+ points six straight times. CCSU went 2-4 during that stretch and 0-5 during the five game stretch of the 1992 season.
• The Blue Devils have scored 43 second half points compared to 22 in the first half this season.
• CCSU has controlled the clock this season, the Blue Devils average 30:38 minutes of ball possession per game.
• Third down has not been kind to the Blue Devils. CCSU has converted just 24-of-77 third downs (31%).