Central Connecticut State University Athletics #GOBLUEDEVILS

Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Basketball Tripped Up at St. John's on Tuesday Night

Men's Basketball Tripped Up at St. John's on Tuesday Night

Central Connecticut fell at St. John's, 80-55, on Tuesday at Carnesecca Arena in men's basketball action. A second half run helped the Red Storm pull away from the Blue Devils. CCSU slipped to 0-3 with the loss, while St. John's moved to 2-0.

Junior Deion Bute led Central with 19 points and nine rebounds, while senior Mustafa Jones added 13 points. 

The Blue Devils return to action on Friday night with a 7:00 p.m. game at East Carolina.

The Red Storm opened the scoring and accounted for the first five points of the night, but Central would respond and take an 11-9 lead. Junior Deion Bute would get a layup and junior Austin Nehls hit a three-pointer to give CCSU its only lead of the opening half at the 15:08 mark.

St. John's would take control with a 20-2 run over a 7:17 span. After a three-pointer by sophomore Tyson Batiste at the 10:46 mark, the Red Storm would score nine unanswered points beginning with a three-pointer by Marvin Clark II. 

Freshman Kashaun Hicks would hit a layup to breakup the SJU run, but Bryan Trimble Jr. and Shamorie Ponds hit consecutive three-pointers to start a run of 11 straight points by the Red Storm. A jumper by Trimble at the 3:29 mark would give SJU its largest lead of the period at 41-19.

The Blue Devils would close the gap at halftime by outscoring the Red Storm, 8-2, over the final 3:03. Junior Eric Bowles hit a pair of foul shots and Bute had back-to-back jumpers, before senior Mustafa Jones had a layup with 0:06 left in the half to make it 43-27. 

Central outscored SJU, 10-5, to open the second half and cut the deficit to 11 points. Bute worked for back-to-back layups and cut the St. John's lead to 48-37 with 16:00 remaining and forced a timeout by the home team.

That would be the closest CCSU would get as Marcus LoVett would end the run by the visitors and St. John's would use a 16-0 run over a span of 5:04 to pull away. A layup by Justin Simon would give the Red Storm their largest lead of the night at 74-46 before Jones and Nehls hit back-to-back three-pointers to end the decisive spurt. 

Central shot 41.7 percent (20-of-48) for the game from the floor, but was hampered by 21 turnovers. The Red Storm held a 38-29 edge on the glass and shot 27-of-58 (.466) for the game. 

Ponds led all scorers with 21 points, while Simon added a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

The Blue Devils return to action on Friday night, Nov. 17, with a 7:00 p.m. game at East Carolina.




(860) 832-BLUE

Privacy Policy