Central Connecticut lost to Vermont, 81-49, on Saturday in the Air Force Reserve Tip Off Tournament presented by Citi at Mohegan Sun Arena. The Catamounts held the Blue Devils without a field goal for over nine minutes in the second to pull away. CCSU will play Columbia in the Springfield Bracket Consolation game on Sunday.
Central was held to 3-of-28 (.107) from the field in the second half and finished 13-of-52 (.250) in the game. Vermont shot 31-of-57 (.544) from the field overall and outscored CCSU, 44-10, in the paint.
Score: Central Connecticut 49, Vermont 81
Records: CCSU (0-6), UVM (5-1)
Location: Mohegan Sun Arena | Uncasville, CT
- CCSU started the game 2-of-3 from the arc, but just 2-of-11 from the field overall. UVM hit 6-of-9 from three to start the game and led 23-12 at the 11:09 mark after Stef Smith's fourth three-pointer.
- Freshman Myles Baker and senior Jamir Coleman hit consecutive three-pointers to get CCSU within 32-22 and force a UVM timeout at 6:39.
- A pair of foul shots by Coleman and a three-pointer by Baker would close Central within 36-30 with 2:05 to go in the half. The Catamounts led 42-33 at halftime.
- Central missed its first seven shots and was scoreless for just over 4:00. UVM outscored CCSU 15-3 to build a 62-38 lead midway through the period.
- The Blue Devils missed 12 straight shots and were held without a field goal during a nearly 9:30 stretch in the second half and trailed by as much as 76-42.
NUMBER TO KNOW
13 - CCSU committed a season-low 13 turnovers in the game.
- The teams were meeting for the first time since Dec. 30, 2007. UVM leads the all-time series 14-3 and has won the last 10 meetings.
- CCSU was outrebounded, 36-30.
- Central shot a season-best 16-of-18 (.889) at the foul line and has made 30-of-36 (.833) in the last two games.
- Anthony Lamb entered the game averaging a team-high 20.6 points for UVM, but was held to four points in the first half. He would finish the game with 15 points.
- Stef Smith led the Catamounts with 24 points and made five three-pointers.
Central will play Columbia in the Air Force Reserve Tip-Off Tournament presented by Citi at the Mohegan Sun Arena on Sunday night at 6:00 p.m.