The Central Connecticut men's basketball team fell at Long Island University, 90-78, on Thursday night in Brooklyn. CCSU was within a point with four minutes to play before LIU scored 13 unanswered points to pull away. The Blue Devils will be at home on Saturday against Merrimack.
Central had four players score in double-figures, led by senior Jamir Coleman who had 17 points and 12 rebounds. Junior Stephane Ayangma added 15 points on 7-of-9 shooting, while sophomore Ian Krishnan scored 14 points and freshman Jamir Reed added 11 points. CCSU shot 31-of-62 (.500) from the field and was 7-of-22 (.318) from three-point range. The Blue Devils made 9-of-10 foul shots and gave out 16 assists, while outrebounding LIU, 34-25.
Raiquan Clark led five Sharks in double-digits with 22 points on 7-of-10 shooting. LIU finished the game 29-of-53 (.547) from the field and was 15-of-33 (.455) from the arc. LIU went 17-of-22 at the foul line. The Sharks committed just nine turnovers, while forcing CCSU into 13.
The Blue Devils fall to 1-15 overall and 0-3 in league play, while LIU improves to 6-9 overall and 1-1 in the NEC.
Score: Central Connecticut 78, Long Island University 90
Records: CCSU (1-15, 0-3 NEC), LIU (6-9, 1-1 NEC)
Location: Steinberg Wellness Center | Brooklyn, NY
- CCSU opened the game making 6-of-7 shots from the field, including three by junior Stephane Ayangma to take an early 13-11 lead.
- LIU would outscore the Blue Devils, 7-2, in just over a one-minute span to take an 18-15 lead in the opening period. The Sharks would go into halftime with a 46-42 lead.
- Central tied the game at 48-48 early in the second half after four straight foul shots by sophomore Ian Krishnan. LIU responded with back-to-back treys by Julian Batts to regain a six-point lead before CCSU, which made 6-of-7 shots, came back to tie it at 56-all on a layup by freshman Xavier Wilson.
- The Blue Devils got within 77-76 with 3:51 to play after scoring five straight points. Ayangma hit a layup, followed by a three-pointer from sophomore Ian Krishnan.
- CCSU went scoreless during a three-minute span and the Sharks pulled away late with 12 straight points to build a 89-76 lead. LIU closed the game on a 13-2 run in the final 3:51.
NUMBER TO KNOW
16 - The Blue Devils' assist total was their most against a Division I foe this season. CCSU had 22 in its win over Conn College.
- LIU has won four in a row in the series and leads the all-time series, 26-21.
- Coleman posted his 6th career double-double and grabbed a career-high in rebounds.
- Ayangma went 6-for-6 from the floor in the opening period to score 13 points.
- Wilson added nine points and two steals in 23 minutes off the bench.
- Senior Tyler Rowe and freshman Myles Baker each had a career-best four assists, while combining for just one turnover.
- Sophomore Zach Newkirk totaled four points, three boards and three assists, while freshman Ola Olamuyiwa grabbed two rebounds.
- Central shot 18-of-29 (.621) from the field in the opening half.
The Blue Devils host Merrimack on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.