Morgan and Cavener Lead Blue Devils to 3-2 Home Victory Over Robert Morris

Morgan and Cavener Lead Blue Devils to 3-2 Home Victory Over Robert Morris

Freshman Taylor Morgan posted the first multi-goal game of his career and junior Robert Cavener had three assists as the Central Connecticut State University men's soccer team scored three straight second half goals to top visiting Robert Morris 3-2 on Sunday afternoon. CCSU fell behind 2-0 in the second half, but the relentless offense provided three goals in the final 22 minutes to give CCSU its first conference win of the season.

CCSU is now 6-2-1 overall and 1-0-1 in Northeast Conference play this season following the victory.

The Blue Devils fell behind 2-0 in the second half when Francis Bowman scored his first goal of the season for Robert Morris. He took a pass from Neil Shaffer at 64:24 and beat CCSU keeper Paul Armstong for the second score of the game for the visitors.

The goal seemed to spark the Blue Devils offense, who finished the game outshooting the Colonials by a wide margin, 23-9. They also held an 11-2 advantage in corner kicks in a game played mostly on the CCSU offensive end of the field.

Morgan's first goal came off a pass from Cavener on the right side of the box. Morgan beat RMU keeper Toba Bolaji to the left side of the goal to cut the RMU lead to one at 68:30.

The second goal came just under five minutes later and off a corner kick. At 73:28 Eduardo Ortiz deflected a shot by teammate Aaron Durr and beat Bolaji to tie the score at 2-2. Cavener took the corner kick and had an assist on the play.

The final score came with just over three minutes to play in the game, as Cavener fed a wide open Morgan in front of the net for his second goal of the match. It was the fourth goal of the season for the freshman and gave him his first multi-goal game in a Blue Devil uniform. The possession by the Blue Devils came off a turnover near the top of the box for RMU. Cavener made the move to beat the Colonial defender and fed Morgan for the goal.

The three goals came in an 18 minutes span for CCSU. Armstrong made three saves in net for the home team to improve his record to 5-2-1 on the season.

CCSU returns to action next Sunday at Bryant beginning at 3:30 p.m.