Men's Soccer Ends Even With RMU 1-1

Men's Soccer Ends Even With RMU 1-1

The Central Connecticut men's soccer team left North Athletic Complex even with Robert Morris as the two Northeast Conference rivals tied 1-1 after regulation and two overtime periods.  With the tie, Central moves to 4-5-2 (2-0-1 NEC) and Robert Morris moves to 3-8-2 (0-3-1 NEC) on the season.

Robert Morris put the first goal of the game on the board early in the first half.  Bruce Cullen scored the Colonials only goal of the game in the 16th minute of play.  His score was assisted by Devon Williams who fed Cullen passed the Blue Devil defense to put the score inside of the left post.

Central entered the half down 1-0 to Robert Morris.  Despite the deficit, the Blue Devils held the advantage in shots at the break seven to four.

Against a Robert Morris team ranked first in the NEC in saves, senior defender Steven Bailey scored his first goal of the season, third of his career, in the 66th minute of action.  The goal came off of an assist from teammate Reece Wilson.  Wilson headed the ball into the box for Bailey who was there to put the shot into the back of then net from the near side.  The assist was Wilson's third of the season giving Central it's 15th goal of the year.

Just minutes before the end of regulation, Central senior Jesse Menzies fired a shot at the Robert Morris keeper Toba Bolaji in attempt to break the 1-1 stalemate.  The shot was blocked and regulation ended with both teams knotted at one apiece.

Senior goalkeeper Anthony Occhialini saved the only shot of the first overtime period.  The shot was attempted by Robert Morris' Carl Reid.  After 10 additional minutes, the tie was still not settled and the two teams headed into a second overtime period.

Three combined shots by both teams went in the second overtime period.  In the closing seconds of overtime period two, Morris Cabrillo of the Colonials attempted a shot with 30 seconds remaining but the result was a high shot to end the game in a 1-1 draw.

Occhialini played every minute in the box for the Blue Devils registering three saves on the day.  The game marked the fourth time this season that the Blue Devils have gone beyond regualtion into extra minutes, three double-overtime games and one overtime game.

The visiting Blue Devils out-shot the home Colonials 18 to 12 with nine shots-on-goal to Robert Morris' five.  Robert Morris entered the contest ranked second in the NEC in shots, Central was ranked fourth.

Central Connecticut will end their three game road trip on Friday, October 12th at St. Francis (NY) and return to New Britain on Sunday, October 14th to face Fairleigh Dickinson.  The Blue Devils still have not suffered a home loss so far this season.

Men's Soccer Honored by NSCAA
November 16, 2012 Men's Soccer Honored by NSCAA
Men's Soccer Tops Lipscomb, 3-1
September 16, 2012 Men's Soccer Tops Lipscomb, 3-1
UNH Tops Men's Soccer 2-0
September 9, 2012 UNH Tops Men's Soccer 2-0