The Central Connecticut women's basketball team will host Vermont at 7 p.m. on Wednesday night in Detrick Gymnasium. The Blue Devils (2-3) and the Catamounts (3-6) have not played since the 2003-04 season.
The last game between these squads was December 20, 2003. Vermont won that meeting, 65-44, and extended their winning streak to five straight against the Blue Devils. The last CCSU victory in the series came during the 1989-90 season when the Blue Devils swept a pair of games from Vermont, 67-52 and 62-53.
CCSU's head coach Beryl Piper and Vermont's Lori Gear McBride have never coached in this series.
Fans that cannot make it to Detrick Gym can follow the action online:
Here are some notes on the Blue Devils heading into the Vermont Game:
• Free Throw Percentage • As of Monday (12/3), the Blue Devils are 18th in the nation in free throw percentage with a 77.8% mark. Senior Jaclyn Babe leads the group with a perfect 100% from the line. She is 13-of-13 on the season and the team is 56-of-72. Babe is tied for the top free throw percentage in the country with two other players.
• Clutch at the Line • The Blue Devils are 22-for-25 (88.0%) from the free throw line in the final five minutes of the second half. Senior Jaclyn Babe (6-for-6), sophomore Kaley Watras (4-for-4) and junior Lauren Arbogast (2-for-2) have all contributed perfect shooting late in the game.
• Senior Jaclyn Babe has 725 career points over her two seasons at Duquesne and her year plus with the Blue Devils.
• Junior Jessica Babe is shooting 41.7% from behind the three-point arc this season.
• Junior Lauren Arbogast has reached double-digit points in both of the games she has started this season.
• Junior Jaleen Thomas season-high seven rebounds against Holy Cross.
• Senior Kirsten Daamen scored 21 points against Holy Cross. It was her fifth career 20-point game.