The Central Connecticut women's basketball team fell to Saint Francis U 64-52 on Saturday inside Detrick Gymnasium. Junior Tiffany Slicklein scored a season-high nine points and grabbed eight rebounds.
The Red Flash opened the game shooting 50 percent from the floor to take a 21-13 lead by the end of the first quarter. After SFU scored a basket at 5:56 in the second quarter, the Red Flash didn't score a field goal until Karson Swagger hit a jumper with 34 seconds left in the half.
Central went on a 11-5 run out of the halftime break and two free throws by Slicklein tied the game at 36 with 5:17 to play in the third. Central trailed by three at the start of the final quarter, but a 12-4 run by the Red Flash extended the lead back to double-digits.
Score: Central Connecticut: 52, Saint Francis U 64
Records: CCSU (1-12, 0-2 NEC), SFU (4-9, 2-0 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium - New Britain, CT
- Saint Francis opened the game connecting on four of its first nine shots.
- Dejah Jenkins stopped an 8-0 SFU run with a corner three.
- Central held the Red Flash from scoring a field goal for 5:22 in the second quarter.
- CCSU went on a 11-5 run out of the halftime break and two free throws by Slicklein tied the game at 36 with 5:17 to play in the third.
- Forever Toppin finished a step back three through contact to cut the lead 42-41 with 36.1 seconds left in the third.
- Saint Francis opened the final quarter with a 12-4 run to extend the lead to 11.
- Ashley Berube finished with 10 points, four rebounds and two blocks.
- Tiffany Slicklein scored a season-high nine points and eight rebounds.
- Ashley Forker also had eight rebounds for the Blue Devils.
- Nine different players scored for Central.
- CCSU had 15 second chance points.
NUMBER TO KNOW
26 - Central had 26 bench points.
Central faces in-state conference rival Sacred Heart Wednesday, Jan. 8 at 1 p.m. in Fairfield, CT.