The Central Connecticut women's basketball team dropped a 59-47 decision on Saturday in Smithfield, RI against the Bryant Bulldogs. Senior Bruna Vila Artigues led Central with 11 points, just two shy of matching her career high. She was the only Blue Devil to hit double-figures.
Central falls to 2-21 on the year and 1-11 in league, while Bryant improves to 6-15 and 4-6 in conference play. Brooke Bjelko led the Bulldogs with 15 points and nine rebounds.
Score: Central Connecticut 47, Bryant 59
Records: CCSU (2-21, 1-11 NEC), Bryant (6-15, 4-6 NEC)
Location: Chase Athletics Center – Smithfield, RI
- Bryant opened the game with an 8-1 run. Central did not score its first field goal until 4:28 when Emma McCamus finished an old fashion three-point play.
- Tiffany Slicklein drilled a corner three to open the second quarter putting Central down 18-15.
- Central closed the second quarter with nine straight points off triples by Bruna Vila Artigues and Jewel Porter. The Blue Devils shot a perfect 4-4 from deep in the second and went into the halftime break down 28-26.
- The Bulldogs outscored the Blue Devils 19-13 in the third. Central entered the last 10 minutes of play trailing 47-39.
- A 11-0 run by the Bulldogs extended the lead to 16 with less than four minutes to play.
- Artigues led Central with 11 points, she was the only Blue Devil to hit double-figures.
- McCamus finished with nine points and four steals, while Ashley Forker had eight points, seven rebounds and five steals.
- CCSU sank seven triples, going a perfect 4-4 from deep in the second quarter.
NUMBER TO KNOW
11 - Central's best scoring run came in the fourth quarter when the team scored 11 straight points.
The Blue Devils are back in New Britain when they host Bryant in a week on Saturday, Feb. 15.