The Central Connecticut women's lacrosse team lost its season opener at UMass Lowell, 14-7, on Wednesday afternoon in Lowell, MA. The Blue Devils (0-1) were tied 7-7 in the second half, but UML (1-0) scored the final seven goals of the game.
Senior Morgan Sinton led CCSU with three goals and two assists. Juniors Emma Sullivan, Molly Coogan, and Kaitlyn Rapp and freshman Katelyn Parker each scored a goal for Central. The goal was Parker's first career goal as a Blue Devil.
Central's next game is its home opener on Sunday, Feb. 16 vs. St. Bonaventure at 1pm.
Score: Central Connecticut 7, UMass Lowell 14
Records: CCSU (0-1), UML (1-0)
Location: Cushing Field Complex | Lowell, Mass.
- Sinton scored the first goal of the game to give the Blue Devils the early 1-0 lead. Sinton scored CCSU's first three goals giving the Blue Devils the lead each time.
- Sullivan scored to give CCSU a 4-3 lead at the 9:07 mark of the first half.
- Rapp tied game 5-5 with just under four minutes left in the half. UMass Lowell scored three minutes later to lead 6-5 at halftime.
- Coogan and Parker each scored in the opening five minutes of the second half to tie the game at 7-7 before UMass Lowell scored the last seven goals of the game for the final margin.
NUMBER TO KNOW
15 - Junior Cooper Cowdin made a career-high 15 saves for Central.
- Junior Cooper Cowdin made 15 saves in goal for the Blue Devils.
- UMass Lowell held a 44-22 advantage in shots.
- Sophomore Jessica Denike added two assists for the Blue Devils.
- Coogan led CCSU with four draw controls and sophomore Campbell Kennedy had a team-high three ground balls.
The Blue Devils host St. Bonaventure in their home-opener on Sunday.