Women's Soccer Plays to Scoreless Tie at Hartford on Friday Night

The Central Connecticut women's soccer team opened its season with a scoreless 0-0 tie in double overtime at the University of Hartford. The two teams combined to post just four shots on goal in the game, three by the Blue Devils. It was the season opener for each team. CCSU returns to action on Monday night at Connecticut beginning at 7 p.m.

The tie extends the CCSU unbeaten streak vs. the Hawks to six games (5-0-1) with the last Hartford victory in the series coming back in 2002.

"This was a solid defensive effort for us tonight," head coach Mick D'Arcy said following the game. "As the game went on it was clear that neither team did enough to win, neither team created enough chances for themselves. Defensively we did a great job adjusting throughout the game. As a team we did a good job adjusting to playing on the turf, it took us about 20-25 minutes to get used to it."

Neither team had a strong chance to score in the first half as the teams went into halftime scoreless. Each squad managed just one shot on goal before the break.

Neither team recorded a shot on goal in the second half but both had one good chance to score. Hartford had the game's first chance in the first three minutes of the second half but a shot by Laura Guigli missed high over Blue Devil senior keeper Erin Herd.

The Blue Devils had their best chance to score in the half with just under 10 minutes left on the clock. A cross by junior Rachel Caneen went just in front of the goal missing teammate Erica Celini. A late shot by junior Leah Blaney with under 30 seconds to play was wide left and the last chance for either team before the end of regulation.

A late scoring attempt by Central Connecticut with under 20 seconds to play in the first overtime came up short as a header by sophomore Clio Tregear off a pass from Caneen went just left of the goal. Blaney posted another shot on the goal with under 30 seconds to play in the second overtime but the save was made by the Hartford keeper.

The Blue Devils held the advantage in total shots nine to seven. Hartford had five corner kicks to just two for the Blue Devils.

Herd made one save in goal for the Blue Devils to record the shutout. It is the sixth of her career.

The Blue Devils return to action on Monday night on the road at Connecticut beginning at 7 p.m.