The Central Connecticut women's soccer team is set to play the 2014 Northeast Conference Women's Soccer Championship this weekend in Teaneck, NJ on the campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University. The Blue Devils finished the regular season 9-5-4 overall with a 4-2-2 record in NEC play to earn the third seed in this years tournament. They will face off against the second seed Wagner (9-6-3, 5-1-2 NEC) on Friday, Nov. 7 at 2 p.m.
The Blue Devils dropped the regular season match against the Seahawks of Wagner on Oct. 19 by a score of 1-0 in Staten Island, NY. The two teams played to a scoreless first half and CCSU held an 8-2 advantage in shots at the break. The Blue Devils' defense also did not allow a single shot on goal in the entire first half.
Wagner's Johanna Konrad scored the game's only goal at the 73:14 mark to lift the Seahawks. Konrad took a pass from teammate Alyssa Azzinaro, bounced the ball to herself behind the Blue Devil defense and beat CCSU sophomore keeper Nicki Turley into the lower right corner of the goal. CCSU outshot the Seahawks 17-5 in the match, including a 6-2 advantage in shots on goal. The Blue Devils also held a slight advantage in corner kicks, 4-3.
CCSU Quick Facts:
• This is the second consecutive year the Blue Devils have qualified for the NEC Tournament.
• This is the 15th overall time the Blue Devils have qualified for the NEC Tournament.
• The Blue Devils are now 16-7 all-time in NEC Tournament play.
• The Blue Devils are 9-5 in semifinal games and 7-2 in the finals all-time.
• CCSU and Wagner have met only once before in the NEC Tournament, CCSU won 4-0 (1997).
• The Blue Devils have been to two NEC Tournaments that were hosted by FDU (2004, 2010).
• CCSU is 2-1 in NEC Tournament games at FDU.
• The Blue Devils won the 2004 NEC Tournament hosted by FDU.
The winner of the NEC Tournament will advance to the NCAA Tournament which begins with first round play on Nov. 14.
Tickets will be available the day of the event at the host site. Ticket prices are $6 for adults, $3 for senior citizens and children between the ages of 11-18. Children under the age of 11 and NEC students with an institutional I.D. will be admitted for free.
All games of the 2014 NEC Women's Soccer Tournament will be broadcast live, for free, on NECFrontRow.com. Fans can also watch via the NEC on the Run app for iOS devices, or on any mobile device's browser.