The Central Connecticut women's soccer team defeated Maine 2-1 on Thursday night in New Britain. Sophomore Jenna Rae Covello scored in the first half to give CCSU an early lead. The Black Bears responded with a goal in the second half to even the game 1-1. Rookie Giavanna Inzerillo headed the game-winner off a corner kick from junior Erica Bardes.
Score: Central Connecticut 2, Maine 1
Records: CCSU (1-1-0), Maine (0-1-0)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field – New Britain, CT
- Jenna Rae Covello scored her first goal of the season (33:26) off a cross from junior Erica Bardes who received the ball from sophomore Tess Atkinson.
- The Black Bears responded in the second half with a goal from Anna-Marie Dagher (52:24).
- Giavanna Inzerillo headed her first collegiate goal off a corner kick from Bardes (66:24).
COACH QUOTE | POST GAME INTERVIEW
"One thing I thought we did really well was dealt with a little adversity. There's going to be times when the game goes against you, it went against us for 10 minutes tonight, but we found a way to work through it, and I was happy with that."
NUMBER TO KNOW
2 – Bardes recorded assists on both CCSU goals.
- CCSU is 4-5-2 all-time against Maine.
- Last season, the Blue Devils beat the Black Bears 1-0 on the road after scoring the golden goal at the 11:51 mark.
- The Black Bears finished the 2018 season 6-9-1 and tabbed eighth in the 2019 America East preseason coaches' poll
- Central is the defending NEC champions and went a perfect 8-0 in conference play last year.
- Sophomore goalie Amanda McQuillan was named the NEC Defensive Player of the Week after making nine saves against Rutgers
The Central Connecticut women's soccer team challenges in-state opponent Connecticut on Thursday, Aug. 29 at 7 p.m.