The Central Connecticut women's soccer team earned its second win of the season 4-0 over Iona on Thursday night. Central entered halftime ahead by one with a goal from sophomore Roma McLaughlin. Freshman Giavanna Inzerillo scored her second goal of the season to open the second half and senior Allyson O'Rourke and sophomore Taylor Smith also added to the scoreboard. In her collegiate debut, freshman Caitlin Murphy posted a shutout.
Score: Central Connecticut 4, Iona 0
Records: Central Connecticut (2-2-1), Iona (1-4)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field – New Britain, CT
- Roma McLaughlin broke past a defender and fired the ball past the keeper to open scoring (37:45).
- Junior Jenna Rae Covello found freshman Olivia Fiori who gave a touch pass to classmate Giavanna Inzerillo early in the second half (46:26).
- Senior Allyson O'Rourke scored her first goal of the season off a pass from McLaughlin.
- Sophomore Taylor Smith headed the final CCSU goal off a corner kick from Sydnie Dorman.
COACH QUOTE | POST GAME INTERVIEW
"It's important to be a good home team but you have to be able to win games on the road as well. Scoring goals and getting a shutout builds confidence and that's what we are looking to build off of."
NUMBER TO KNOW
19 – The Blue Devils took 19 shots against the Gaels.
- McLaughlin leads the Blue Devils with seven points (3g, 1a).
- Inzerillo becomes the second player to score more than one goal this season.
- Smith's header was her first collegiate goal.
- Murphy recorded a shutout in her collegiate debut as goalkeeper.
- The last time these two teams faced each other was Sept. 1, 2002 with CCSU prevailing 5-0.
The women's soccer team plays its next six games on the road starting at Siena on Sunday, Sept. 5 at 4 p.m. The Blue Devils return to New Britain on Saturday, Oct. 6 when they host NEC opponent St. Francis Brooklyn.