The Central Connecticut women's soccer team tied its third straight match Friday afternoon. Sophomore Taylor Smith scored the golden goal off a corner kick from junior Erica Bardes in Central's 1-1 tie against Bryant in Smithfield, RI. The team had seven shots on the game and sophomore keeper Amanda McQuillan had two saves in the net for CCSU.
Score: Central Connecticut 1, Bryant 1 (2OT)
Records: Central Connecticut (2-2-4, 0-0-1 NEC), Bryant (3-3-2, 1-0-1 NEC)
Location: Smithfield, RI
- At the 22:41 mark, junior Erica Bardes took a corner kick for Central and found sophomore Taylor Smith in the box for the Blue Devils to take a 1-0 lead at the half.
- The Bulldogs tied the game when Alison Guilmette sent the ball upfield to Lexi Kraemer who crossed the ball inside the box as Diani Bryant ran in to kick it past the keeper (70:36).
- Bryant had a slight 8-7 advantage in shots and 4-3 edge in shots on goal.
- Sophomore Amanda McQuillan had two saves in goal for Central.
NUMBER TO KNOW
4- Junior Erica Bardes leads the team and Northeast Conference with four assists so far this season.
- CCSU is 7-2-2 in all-time matches against the Bulldogs.
- Today's match marks the third straight double overtime game for Central, the fifth overtime match of the season.
- Smith's goal was her second of the year. Both goals were assisted by Bardes from corner kick opportunities.
- Bardes currently leads the team and the NEC in assists (4).
- Smith becomes the third Blue Devil to score more than one goal this season (Giavanna Inzerillo 2, Roma McLaughlin 4).
Central Connecticut plays its final non-conference match of the season against in-state opponent Yale on Sunday, Sept. 22 at 5 p.m. in New Haven, CT.