The Central Connecticut women's soccer team posted its third straight shutout after beating Long Island 2-0 Friday night in New Britain, CT. Tonight's win marks the fifth out of six home wins for the Blue Devils. Seniors Allyson O'Rourke and Yo Tachibana, along with freshman Ashley Wright, tallied for Central.
Score: Central Connecticut 3, LIU 0
Records: Central Connecticut (6-4-4, 4-1-1 NEC), LIU (4-10-1, 3-4 NEC)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field – New Britain, CT
- Senior Emily Hogan hit sophomore Tess Atkinson up the sideline. Atkinson crossed the ball deep in the box to senior Allyson O'Rourke to open scoring (4:40).
- Senior Yo Tachibana shot the ball high over the keeper off a cross from freshman Sydnie Dorman to extend the lead 2-0 (26:37).
- Junior Jenna Rae Covello took a shot that was blocked by the ball found its way to freshman Ashley Wright who snuck it past the goalie for the final goal (76:13).
- The Blue Devils had an 18-8 advantage on shots and had seven corner kick opportunities.
- Tonight's win marks the third straight win for the Blue Devils. Out of the six matches at home, CCSU is 5-0-1.
- This is the third straight shutout for sophomore goalkeeper Amanada McQuillan. She had three saves in the net for Central.
- Wright has scored in back-to-back matches.
- O'Rourke now has four goals on the season. Tachibana became the 12th Blue Devil to score this season with her first goal on the year.
- In the all-time series against Long Island, Central is 14-5-1.
- Head coach Mick D'Arcy is two wins away from his 200th career win at Central.
NUMBER TO KNOW
5 – Fifth home win for the Blue Devils this season.
The Central Connecticut women's soccer team plays Merrimack on Sunday, Oct. 20 at noon in North Andover, MA.