After honoring its seven seniors before kick-off, the Central Connecticut women's soccer team won its final home match of the regular season defeating Saint Francis 1-0 Sunday afternoon. The team improves to 9-4-4 overall and 7-1-1 in the Northeast Conference and clinched a spot in the 2019 Northeast Conference Tournament. Junior Tess Atkinson scored the golden goal for the Blue Devils in the 23rd minute of the game.
Score: Central Connecticut 1, Saint Francis U 0
Records: Central Connecticut (9-4-4, 7-1-1 NEC), Saint Francis U (6-9-1, 5-4 NEC)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field – New Britain, CT
"I'm really happy with the win, especially under the weather conditions. We knew Saint Francis would be tough to beat. They have a lot of players who have won NEC Championships. We have the utmost respect for them. For our seniors it was a wonderful way to end the weekend."
- Central scored the lone goal at 23:20 when senior Emily Hogan crossed the ball to Tess Atkinson.
- CCSU had a 27-5 advantage in shots and had six corner kick opportunities.
- Sophomore Amanda McQuillan had four saves in the net for Central.
NUMBER TO KNOW
7 – Central won seven of its eight home matches this season.
- The win today guarantees Central a spot in the 2019 NEC Tournament. The final standings will be known after the regular season ends on Sunday, Nov. 3.
- Central has won six straight matches and finished the regular season 7-0-1 at home.
- The 2019 senior class has a home record of 27-6-4 in their four seasons as Blue Devils.
The women's soccer team plays its final match of the regular season next Sunday, Nov. 3 against in-state conference rival Sacred Heart at noon.