For the second straight year, the Central Connecticut women's cross country team took home the first place trophy at the Northeast Conference Championships. While hosting the meet in Stanley Quarter Park Saturday afternoon, CCSU totaled 38 points and had four finishers in the top 14. Junior Angie Rafter was named the 2019 NEC Most Outstanding Performer for the second time after running a 17:28.5 in the women's 5K race, a personal best. Rookie Brooke Morabito was named the 2019 NEC Freshman of the Year after a 15th place finish with a time of 18:43.4.
Meet: 2019 Northeast Conference Championship
Team Score: 1st of 11
Location: Stanley Quarter Park - New Britain, CT
- Junior Angie Rafter was crowned the NEC Most Outstanding Performer for the second straight year after a first place finish in the women's 5K with a personal best time of 17:28.5.
- Brooke Morabito earned the NEC Freshman of the Year award after a 15th place finish. She also ran a collegiate best surpassing her previous time by almost one full minute (18:43.3).
- Junior Megan Brawner came in third for Central with a time of 17:56.6 beating her previous best time of 18:21.8.
- Ashley Dana (18:19.9) and Kaitlyn Stevens (18:22.8) finished in ninth and 10th place respectively for CCSU.
- The five scored runners for CCSU finished in the top 15 out of a field of 90 runners.
- This is the second straight year Central has earned all three awards (First Place Team Finish, Most Outstanding Performer & Freshman of the Year).
- This is the fourth time CCSU has won the women's cross country championship and seventh time the Blue Devils have been the NEC Individual Champion.
Central will prepare for the NCAA Northeast Regionals on Friday, Nov. 15 in Buffalo, NY.